IPC-A-610 Targeting Excellence in Electronics
Assembly of Printed Boards
IPC-A-610, Acceptability of Electronic Assemblies is the most widely used standard published by the IPC. With multiple language versions, it has an international reputation as the source for end product acceptance criteria for consumer and high reliability printed wiring assemblies.
An industry developed and approved program that includes training, certification and instructional materials based on the IPC-A-610 is available to your company. This certification will demonstrate your commitment to customer requirements and greatly assists any company dedicated to ISO-9000 or other quality assurance initiatives.
This training and certification has immediate recognition, legitimacy and value throughout the electronics industry. Thousands of individuals have been trained to be IPC-A-610 Certified IPC Trainers. A comprehensive and technically accurate program, IPC-A-610 Training and Certification provides Certified IPC Trainers with high quality materials and detailed instructional plans for training Application Specialists at all levels, including buyers, sales teams and management.
IPC-A-610 Training and Certification Program
IPC-A-610 Training and Certification program has two tiers of instruction. Certified IPC Trainer candidates are sent by their parent companies to receive intensive training on the IPC-A-610 from an IPC authorized certification center. Candidates are certified once they complete their course of study and pass the certification examinations. If they feel they do not need the training course, candidates may opt to take a “challenge test” administered by one of the certification centers. Certified IPC Trainers are provided instructional materials for training Application Specialist in a modular training program. Certified IPC Trainers are considered certified for two years after the course completion date. They must then re-certify at an IPC authorized certification site.
- Establishing and maintaining integrity of the certification program
- Purpose and application of IPC-A-610
- Hardware installation
- Soldering criteria, including lead free connections
- Soldered requirements for connecting to terminals
- Soldered connection requirements for plated-through holes
- Surface mounting criteria for chip components, leadless and leaded chip carriers
- Swaged hardware, and heatsink requirements of mechanical assemblies
- Component mounting criteria for DIPS, socket pins, and card edge connectors
- Jumper wire assembly requirements
- Solder fillet dimensional criteria for all major SMT component groups
- Soldering, such as tombstoning, dewetting, voiding, etc
- Criteria for component damage, laminate conditions, cleaning and coating
- Steps to effectively using the lesson plan and materials, tips on inspection and a review of important Certified IPC Trainer skills
Who should become a Certified Trainer?
Anyone responsible for the quality and reliability of electronic assemblies should consider becoming an IPC-A-610 Certified IPC Trainer. Trainers and quality supervisors versed in electronic assembly are excellent candidates for A-610 training, as are engineering and manufacturing supervisors with assembly responsibilities.
The IPC-A-610 Training and Certification Program offers those interested in company-wide quality assurance initiatives in an industry traceable, IPC-sponsored program to support their commitment to continuous improvement of product quality and reliability. The program provides individuals with a portable credential that represents their understanding of the IPC-A-610.
All IPC-A-610 Certified IPC Trainers receive materials for participating in the A-610 training as well as instructional materials for conducting the Modular Application Specialist training. The modular approach lets users control cost by tailoring training to the specific needs of their work force.
- A CD-ROM with full color teaching visuals illustrating every aspect of the IPC-A-610 document and training information, and all reports and forms required for conducting Application Specialist training.
- An Instructor Guide, providing complete instructions for conducting the Application Specialist training and testing
- IPC-A-610C Acceptability of Electronic Assemblies and IPC-T-50 Terms and Definitions for Interconnecting and Packaging Electronic Circuits
- Open and closed book Application Specialist Written Examinations
- IPC certificate of course completion
Application Specialist training materials, including official, serialized IPC certificates, may be purchased from IPC only by Certified IPC Trainers and the companies they represent. Certified IPC Trainers may teach the course at any location and to any audience and may set a training fee, if applicable. The term for an IPC-A-610 Certified IPC Trainer is two years. Recertification training is conducted at the Authorized Certification Centers. Application Specialist training materials, including official, serialized IPC certificates, may be purchased from IPC only by Certified IPC Trainers and the companies they represent. Certified IPC Trainers may teach the course at any location and to any audience and may set a training fee, if applicable.
The term for an IPC-A-610 Certified IPC Trainer is two years. Recertification training is conducted at the Authorized Certification Centers.
Microtek is licensed to provide the IPC-A-610 Training and Certification program.
The IPC-A-610 Training and Certification Program is conducted at Microtek Laboratories’ Anaheim, CA facility and performed by our training partner EPTAC